A couple of weeks ago, there was a knock on the door. I was expecting Lisa, so I hauled Piper to the door and stuck her little fuzzy head out there as if she were answering it (funny haha). Instead of Lisa's girlish giggle, I heard a deep HUH HUH HUH laugh.

A little embarrassed, I dropped Piper and looked outside to see a well dressed, smiling, plump young man around 17 or 18. I stepped outside to talk with him. He tells me a heartbreaking story about how he is from Atlanta and wants to go to college, but he doesn't have the funding. He is part of this program that works with teenagers in his same position. The group works off of a points system: they get so many points for the way they handle themselves on door-to-door visits, (SIDE NOTE: when explaining this part to me, he said his sponsor would call me to get feedback and asked if I would let his sponsor know that he was respectful, handled himself well, and didn't ask me to make him some collard greens. I shit you not) points for how many homes they visit, and points for however many magazine subscriptions/books they sell. He then proceeded to show me the list of magazines and books that were available to sell.

In hindsight, I should have known better than to believe this little shit. But...
1. He had official looking paperwork
2. The receipts were triplicate copies with the name of the company and address, etc. on them
3. He gave me contact information for his sponsor
4. I am a sucker for a teenager who works hard at anything during the summertime (not common)

So, to end a long story, I went inside to get my checkbook to write a check for a crazy amount ($72) to renew a magazine Blaine already subscribes to (Rolling Stone for 2 years).

I should've seen the red flags here:
-he said he got more points if I paid cash
and here:
-however uninvited, he asked if he could come in while I wrote the check

Of course, I wrote a check, and of course, practical-minded Blaine looked it up as soon as I told him. It was a scam. Please check out reviews here (courtesy of Blaine Duncan Detective Agency):

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-856-642-0012

http://citysquares.com/b/millenium-sales-721836

http://www.bbb.org/new-jersey/business-reviews/magazines-distributors/millennium-sales-in-mount-laurel-nj-90009226



Moral of the story: never stick Piper's head out the door assuming it's Lisa on the other side.




This entry was posted on Friday, June 18, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

8 comments:

    Blaine said...

    Piper couldn't even sniff out the scam, so it's o.k. I think it would've fooled anyone.

  1. ... on June 18, 2010 at 3:30 PM  
  2. Lindsey said...

    well are you gonna get your magazines or not?!? cancel your check!

    at least 269 of the claims were resolved! (per BBB)

  3. ... on June 19, 2010 at 3:58 PM  
  4. Kelly said...

    No, not getting the magazines, and I canceled the check the next morning. Thank goodness!

  5. ... on June 19, 2010 at 6:06 PM  
  6. Unknown said...

    I'm pretty sure this happened to me once in college, except it wasn't a sap story, it was an extremely attractive young lady looking for spring break to some island money. It was less than $72, though.

    Then again maybe I got a magazine out of it...

  7. ... on June 22, 2010 at 12:24 AM  
  8. Unknown said...

    Oh, and Kelly, I do not not see a link my blog (Livin') on your page...

  9. ... on June 22, 2010 at 12:25 AM  
  10. Kelly said...

    TD - Done!

  11. ... on June 22, 2010 at 1:46 AM  
  12. Tracy said...

    Atlanta, similar story, except mine was a personable 20-year-old woman, who talked so fast (perhaps from nervousness; she said she was shy) as to be almost unintelligible. I'm a bit of a sucker, myself, and came inside to look for my checkbook, but since the computer was on, thought I'd do a quick google. Finding this and other posts, I ended up telling her, sorry, but no, and fortunately had not given her any personal info yet. She does claim to have made $1000 from Millennium Sales in 8 months and verified customers' receipt of products, but I'm afraid I have to be a little more careful with my money. The prices were pretty shocking! For example, the Britannica Concise Encyclopedia was twice the Amazon list price; Wine Enthusiast, also twice the magazine's subscription rate.

    It's not just the possibility of ripping off buyers that gets to me, either. 150/month? Door-to-door cold calls? I really think these kids might do better just taking a regular part-time job.

    Some red flags: initial pitch implies that the salesperson gets points just for being courteous ("vote of confidence"), no prices on item list, complicated and confusing scheme, stress on cash payment (bonus points!), listing more items on receipt than you actually buy

  13. ... on July 3, 2010 at 9:33 AM  
  14. Anonymous said...

    I gave a cute little plump teenager money for the same thing today. He was so funny, well-mannered and articulate. Since then, I have found that the organization has received a D+ from the Better Business Bureau. Well, I guess I got played. I only gave him $20, but it was $20 too much.

  15. ... on October 29, 2010 at 9:48 PM