Yesterday in class, we played a quick game of verb charades to show them the difference between physical and mental action verbs. One of my students asked, "Do you just sit around at night and think of things like this?" Since I was too busy laughing, another student fired back, "No, they learn all their tricks on the Internet."

HAH!

I was thinking about work, and I figured out one of the biggest changes in me as a teacher. I am finally figuring out how to discipline effectively and how to give tough love. When I started teaching, I took everything personally. When a student was mad/upset at a decision I had made (such as not allowing them to turn in late work or go to the bathroom for the fitieth time) it hurt my feelings, and I would second guess myself every time. I'm sure it showed, and it probably contributed to my lack of disciplinary skills. Now, I am confident about my discipline policies and realize it's important for them to learn things like deadlines and resource management, even if it means them getting angry or aggrivated for a minute. I would still say my weaknesses are mainly in the disciplinary area, but at least I feel like I'm getting better at it.

Next goal: not thinking about work on the weekends





This entry was posted on Saturday, January 16, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Blaine said...

    Everyone's weakness is in discipline.

  1. ... on January 16, 2010 at 3:53 PM