Jesus Camp by Julia Scheeres

I read this book back during July, but I still think about it now. The story is a memoir written by a teenaged white girl growing up in 1970’s Indiana. Her parents are active in the church and forcefully practice their version of religion in their household. When Julia, the narrator (and author), was young, her parents adopted two very different African American boys. Although one skeezy brother gets himself in a bind early on, Julia becomes great friends with her other brother David.

Since Julia and David are different races, they get ridiculed/threatened on a daily basis by their peers and community members; they are forced to ignore each other at school in an attempt to lead normal lives.

Although Julia and David’s parents are hardcore Christian evangelists, they are abusive to the children in several ways. Julia and David do not live up to their standards (and never could have), and they are sent to the Dominican Republic to complete a program at a rigid Christian reform school. This is where most of the memoir takes place.

This book forces the reader to think about motives regarding religion, evangelism versus brainwashing, and the ins and outs of living a “Godly life.”

My only criticism: I thought the author may have come on too strong with topics of sexuality. Although the events may have been written just as they occurred, I felt uncomfortable most of the time during this read. Maybe that was her aim.


CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO





Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

This book made me feel good about life. The story is told from the perspective of Jacob Jankowski, who finds himself joining the crew of Benzini Brothers Circus after a life-changing event. Jacob switches back and forth between his days serving as a veterinarian on the circus staff and his current conditions late in his life at a retirement home. It is saddening to hear his contrasts between his “glory days” and today, when the threat of dementia becomes greater day by day.

I had never read much about the circus and did not know the ins and outs, but when Jacob tells about the behind-the-scenes events, it is like you are there in the action. I fell in love with his character and rooted him and his friends on. There is also a romantic storyline which is anything but typical. Although it sounds cliché, I laughed, I cried, and I will definitely re-read this one when I need a pick-me-up.

P.S. I heard they are making a movie out of this one. I will be first in line!



On my radar to read soon...
The Magicians by Lev Grossman (I read it is the "Harry Potter for adults"!)
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (I WILL read this eventually.)
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (recommended by one of my students - a must read before the movie comes out)
The Road by Cormac McCarthy (recommended by Blaine)
The Garden of Last Days by Andre Dubus III (LOVED House of Sand and Fog, and recommended by HCDub)



This entry was posted on Thursday, September 17, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

    hales said...

    I want to read both of those. Do you have them? I have The Garden of Last Days & The Lovely Bones if you want to borrow them. Did you ever read The Time Travelers Wife?

  1. ... on September 17, 2009 at 6:26 PM  
  2. Kelly said...

    I checked them both out from the library! And I haven't read TTW yet. I'm not sure I can handle depressing right now. Did you read it?

  3. ... on September 17, 2009 at 7:28 PM  
  4. hales said...

    I read it. I wouldn't read it now if I were you. It was a GREAT book, but I could cry just thinking about it. I want to see the movie but I don't think I can handle it right now either!

  5. ... on September 18, 2009 at 9:28 AM