I died my hair reddish again to cover the gray hair takeover. This is why I'm going gray prematurely:

My tenth graders recently studied Puritanism and Arthur Miller's The Crucible. When they finished, we discussed paragraph formatting and organization, and they had to respond in correct format to prompts about the movie.

On a side but related note, we are having to be especially frugal with our resources this year. We have little to no funding left for copy machines, and the man is expected to pull the plug on them by the end of this month. Because of that, when I have been making copies of assignment sheets, I won't let the students write on them. I am hoping to keep as many class sets as I can for next semester when we don't have copy machines at all.

Back to The Crucible and formatting. When I handed out the assignment sheet, I tried to make the conversation light about them not writing on the paper.

Me: Please do not write on this paper. (Insert speech about copy machines and saving resources.) Do not write on this paper. Again, do not write on this paper. Amber, do you write on this paper?
Amber: No ma'am.
Me: Donnell, will you write on this paper?
Donnell: Absolutely not.

We all grinned and they got to work.

When I get the papers back, what do you know? Most of them had written on the paper. However, one student took it to a whole new ironic level:



SHE WROTE ON THE SHEET TO WRITE "DO NOT WRITE ON THIS SHEET"

:)






This entry was posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: