I fully intended to start a blog when I started teaching, but, like my mind, that idea went to the wayside this past semester. Now, it is the end of Christmas break, and I have decided to reflect on this past semester and make predictions for the new one. I will try to keep this up even when things get hectic.

Last semester:

As I expected, I loved teaching and enjoyed spending time with the kids. I was floored day after day at the insightful, interesting things they would say. I think they taught me as much or more as I taught them. Kids are also a wonderful reminder not to take yourself so seriously. They kept me down to earth when I got frazzled.

I did not expect the job to be so stressful at times. I am worried about student motivation and home life as it affects performance in class. When I was in grade school, I tried to achieve in school for myself primarily and then also for my parents. Some of the kids I am teaching do not seem to have self-esteem or positive reinforcement at home and therefore are not motivated to do well. Kids who have outstanding potential to achieve will make F’s on effort assignments. I do not understand it. What kind of leverage do I use as a teacher when students do not care about grades or school/parental discipline or graduating?

I have read article upon article telling me that I should make the assignments relevant to their lives (easy as pie, right?). This year, I had THREE girls in ONE ninth grade class who were pregnant. No matter how interesting I make it, how am I going to expect them to critically analyze Friar Lawrence’s role in Romeo and Juliet when they are going to have their first ultrasound after school? It is mind blowing how many of them are in gangs, do drugs, and will openly talk about using guns to get what they want.

I would like to discuss religion in the classroom, but I think I will save that for another blog.

I partially blame myself for their disrespect towards me this year. When I say that, I mean the ninth graders solely. I did not set enough boundaries at the outset. I intend to be more firm at the beginning of this semester.

Next semester:
This upcoming semester, I plan on being more organized and prepared for what is ahead. I anticipate having more of my metaphorical shit together, which will (hopefully) allow me to do a better job. I hope to try out some new teaching strategies that I have been too cautious to try before. I hope to take some more “me” time so as to not get too wrapped up in the stresses of the job. I also hope to do a better job of balancing my home life and work life. We’ll see how it goes!


This entry was posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: