The atmosphere at school severely changed last semester when the election rolled around. Students were involved in a way I have never seen before, wearing t-shirts and shouting chants for their favorite candidates. No one could ignore the references in the media and pop culture that inspired the students
***see:
http://www.lyricsyoulove.com/y/young_jeezy/my_president_is_black/
http://yeswecan.dipdive.com/#/~/videoplayer/0/undefined/2207/~/
etc.

Students began holding informal debates before or after class about who was the best candidate and why. One negative aspect glared at me from the front of the room: most of the discussions were sharply divided along racial lines. Sometimes, the discussions even got ugly, and I had to step in and either moderate or end the discussion altogether. Though they are still kids and (for the most part) did not know a great deal about the issues, I was encouraged that they were interested in something so powerful. I feel it is necessary to mention the slanderous comments made by many (primarily white) students. I do not know how to wrap my head around that one quite yet, but I thought it was worth including in the discussion.

Senator Obama’s success allowed the African American students to feel empowered. This was especially true for the black males, whom I feel have the lowest self-esteem and overall feelings of self worth. When Obama won, I was happy and proud for them, hoping Obama’s success might cause a positive change in their outlook of the future.

However, this semester started up on Wednesday, and we began with the usual introductory, get-to-know-you activities. One of the activities we did required that the students pair up and interview each other, then introduce their partner to the class. Of course, I set out some guiding questions to help them along, and one of the questions had to do with career goals or hopes for after high school. Some of the responses:

White female: veterinarian
White male: doctor
White female: lawyer
White male: another doctor
White female: entrepreneur and animal rights activist

Black male: professional football player (does not play in high school)
Black female: cosmetologist
Black male: gangster (actual response)
Black male: no response
Black male: another no response

I think you see where I am going with this. It is disheartening. Even with something as revolutionary as an African American president, the students still feel the glass ceiling. How can we change that?


This entry was posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: