For some reason, I have been on the verge of a nervous breakdown all week long. Things that wouldn't normally get to me are getting to me in a huge way. Let me tell you about my morning so far...

Today is COMMA DAY! (insert excited squeal) in Mrs. Duncan's class. Teaching commas is a little tricky, because the kids feel like it is a juvenile topic and they've seen the rules a hundred times before. Because of that, they act like they're too good to participate in the lesson (most of the time). In reality, even if they HAVE heard it a hundred times, they still misuse them frequently.

So, for comma day, I had a few fun little activities planned out for them after we finished discussing the rules of commas.

Well, commas got put on hold in a major way when a colleague of mine (and co-sponsor of the Interact Club) called me mid-class. She revealed that she had NOT done any of the fifty bazillion things she said she was going to do regarding the upcoming scholarship banquet and end of the year loose ends. I literally wrote down a page-long list of "to dos" while I was on the phone with her.

Then, as soon as I got off the phone (very frustrated), another teacher walked in. She is the case manager (CM) for one of my students with special needs (we'll call her Maggie - not her real name). Maggie has not been in class for about a week now. CM tells me today that Maggie is not feeling better and is actually feeling worse. CM thinks she has something similar to thrush, and Maggie is getting very worried about her health. About that time, Maggie walks in. She looks terrible. She asks me if I will gather her make up work for the past week and the next few days, which I do.


Come to find out, she doesn't have health insurance. She keeps going to doctors and hearing the same thing. I am not sure what they told her/gave her, but it is not working, and she is getting worse. She and her family are shelling out TONS of money (they they do not have) for these doctor visits, and she still can't get an accurate diagnosis. She could be the poster child in the case for universal healthcare.


Anyways, by the time Maggie and CM leave, I am all aflutter. Then, I get a phone call from another case manager. She would like to know if I will come sit in as the general education teacher on an IEP meeting. Guess when it is? During my lunchtime. Great! Sure, I would love to find out last minute that I have to sit in on an IEP meeting and miss my lunch! Grr.

Finally, I get off the phone. I look over at my students (for the first time in a while), and realize that they are all sitting patiently, quietly talking to their neighbors. They were being SO well-behaved that I was overwhelmed and thankful for them. One little girl looked up and me and said, "Mrs. Duncan, I think you need a day off." I think she's right.




This entry was posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

    hales said...

    I'm sorry. Let me know if I can do anything to make you feel less overwhelmed!

  1. ... on April 23, 2009 at 4:48 PM  
  2. stevie said...

    i know you can feel overwhelmed, and i know you can feel underwhelmed. but, can you ever just be whelmed?!

    love you :)

  3. ... on April 23, 2009 at 10:48 PM  
  4. Lindsey said...

    yesterday was a good day to walk four miles!

  5. ... on April 24, 2009 at 7:42 AM  
  6. Anonymous said...

    do you remember the apollo earrings giveaway from leah sakellarides on joanna's blog a few weeks ago?! well leah is giving away another beautiful piece this week on my blog, macaroni club! she is so talented, and so sweet to do this! i'd like to invite you to come visit macaroni club, and if you like this piece of leah's, sign up to win it!
    xo... sarah

  7. ... on April 27, 2009 at 7:30 AM