For some unknown reason, my favorite deodorant (Secret Scent Expressions: Vanilla Chai) decided last week it was going to give me an allergic reaction. Why did this happen? I don't know. We've had such a good relationship up until this point, and then it just pulls the rug out from under me. Whatever.

So, I did the worst thing imaginable, which is look online to do some research about my medical condition. It turns out that deodorant is made up of a significant amount of aluminum. According to the internetz, everyone on planet earth knew that but me. It was a little scary to read/think about.

Links to Alzheimer's, breast cancer, brain disorders? Oh my! After significantly freaking out about it, I picked up some Tom's Natural Care of Maine Long-Lasting Aluminum-Free Deodorant.

I feel relatively good about halting my aluminum intake, but the ingredient list for this one doesn't seem much better:

Propylene glycol, water, sodium stearate, organic aloe barbadensis leaf juice, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel), zinc ricinoleate, glyceryl laurate, chamomilla recutita flower aqeous extract, apricot fragrance, humulus lupulus (hops) [CO2] extract, caprylic/capric triglyceride, ascorbic acid, silica shells

WITCH HAZEL?! I may have to start going tout naturel.



This entry was posted on Friday, July 10, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Lindsey said...

    haha, witch hazel won't hurt you. it's actually good for your skin, I think. most of those ingredients are pretty harmless.

    I've been thinking of getting some aluminium free deodorant, too. it's kind of scary all the stuff they say it could be linked too...

  1. ... on July 10, 2009 at 8:24 PM  
  2. Meghan said...

    i always use tom's but my favorite scent is lavender...

    my grandma just uses baby powder, and she never stinks, so i think that's also a viable option.

  3. ... on July 12, 2009 at 2:25 AM